Bowl Games: A Thread

glduck

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/1/2022 at 7:52 PM, Orange said:

Jonathon Smith has done a legit job in Corvallis.   

I agree.  But I don't call it an "overwhelming" job.

That being said, his teams have improved a little more, each year.  If that continues, and they can become a PAC12 championship team, then the entire body of his work is what I would call an overwhelming job performance.

On 12/28/2021 at 8:56 PM, EastCoastFan said:

Will be 0-4 in a few minutes.

Well let's look at the SEC ....

Missouri:  Their talented QB and their start RB (one of three nominees for the nation's best RB) both opted out.  Had they played, Missouri would have undoubtedly won.  Not a big deal that they lost.

Florda:  This program is completely out of control.  No discipline and no direction.  It was a trainwreck performance by a team that is a trainwreck.

Mississippi State:  Most around the SEC see Mike Leach as a bad hire.  And he showed why in the bowl game.  He's all about offense and lives and dies on the idea of a high-powered offense.  In the bowl game he died.  This is a coach who has never won a division championship, let alone a conference championship, and who's teams win between 6-8 games, annually.  Bottom line, bad coaching led to this horrible performance.

Tennessee:  A team that showed a lot of improvement this year, and who lost because of bad tackling and poor decisions in the final minute of regulation.  That being said, they were also robbed of a game-winning TD in OT.  All in all, not a big deal that they came up short.

Auburn:  Hired a coach that still thinks he's playing in the MWC.  Bad coaching decisions left points on the field, that would have given them the win.  They also don't have a QB.  Why they didn't play the highly rated freshman QB (for at least one series) is baffling.  All that being said, Houston was the better team going in, so no surprise at this loss.

In the remaining seven bowls - the Big Boy Bowls - the SEC won all but the Sugar Bowl, when Ole Miss' best player went down, late in the 1st qtr.  Had QB Matt Coral not been injured, Ole Miss would have won that game, too.  But - it is what it is.  Injuries happen.

On 1/2/2022 at 10:24 AM, HLB said:

Well let's look at the SEC ....

Missouri:  Their talented QB and their start RB (one of three nominees for the nation's best RB) both opted out.  Had they played, Missouri would have undoubtedly won.  Not a big deal that they lost.

Florda:  This program is completely out of control.  No discipline and no direction.  It was a trainwreck performance by a team that is a trainwreck.

Mississippi State:  Most around the SEC see Mike Leach as a bad hire.  And he showed why in the bowl game.  He's all about offense and lives and dies on the idea of a high-powered offense.  In the bowl game he died.  This is a coach who has never won a division championship, let alone a conference championship, and who's teams win between 6-8 games, annually.  Bottom line, bad coaching led to this horrible performance.

Tennessee:  A team that showed a lot of improvement this year, and who lost because of bad tackling and poor decisions in the final minute of regulation.  That being said, they were also robbed of a game-winning TD in OT.  All in all, not a big deal that they came up short.

Auburn:  Hired a coach that still thinks he's playing in the MWC.  Bad coaching decisions left points on the field, that would have given them the win.  They also don't have a QB.  Why they didn't play the highly rated freshman QB (for at least one series) is baffling.  All that being said, Houston was the better team going in, so no surprise at this loss.

In the remaining seven bowls - the Big Boy Bowls - the SEC won all but the Sugar Bowl, when Ole Miss' best player went down, late in the 1st qtr.  Had QB Matt Coral not been injured, Ole Miss would have won that game, too.  But - it is what it is.  Injuries happen.

Falling Asleep Gif - IceGif

On 1/4/2022 at 10:36 AM, Orange said:

The championship game will get shit ratings.  Everyone’s sick of it.  Until a true playoff is implemented, CFB is a joke.  

As slow as changes come for the playoff system, they should at least create a rule now that if you have two teams from the same conference in, they must play each other in the semi. Even though Cincy or Michigan would have got smashed in the final, at least we could see new faces rather than the fucking SEC title game again.

The 95 year old decision makers for the playoff structure spend too much time in the smoking room sipping brandy, smoking cigars and deciding who will suck the SEC's cock next rather than being progressive now on smart decisions.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:36 AM, Orange said:

The championship game will get shit ratings.  Everyone’s sick of it.  Until a true playoff is implemented, CFB is a joke.  

while I agree, its hard to envision different teams in this years championship if we had an 8 or 12 game playoff system. I think Georgia is the best team in college football and Alabama is a close 2nd

On 1/4/2022 at 11:28 AM, Scorcho said:

while I agree, its hard to envision different teams in this years championship if we had an 8 or 12 game playoff system. I think Georgia is the best team in college football and Alabama is a close 2nd

FBS has 10 conferences right? Fighting for 4 playoff spots. My scenario might not be fair to the two best teams in CFB but even in that situation the cream will still rise to the top. The obvious answer is expansion but we both know diamonds form faster than they make these changes.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:28 AM, Scorcho said:

And everyone says that before March madness about Michigan state or duke ot whoever; yet they don’t win year after year.  We get surprises, new champions. We’d get the same with football. 

16-team playoff or bust.  Anything less is bullshit. 

On 1/11/2022 at 9:37 AM, Orange said:

Second-highest rated CF Championship game behind.....wait for it...Ohio State and Oregon.

"nO oNe wAtcHeS tHe PaC-10" - @HLB

Ohio State and Oregon was the "first-ever" playoff game.  Without a doubt it was going to produce a high number.

But here's the question:  Were they tuning in to see Ohio State, or Oregon?  My guess is Ohio State (who has a huge nationwide following).  Add to it the fact that BAMA was not in the NCG, people were thrilled to not have an SEC team in the NC game, and more people tuned in to watch someone other than an SEC team play in the game.

That being said, if you want to take that "one game" and use that single litmus test as the basis for proving that people tune into PAC12 games, with regularity, then I suggest that you look at viewership on every Saturday, for the entire season, and tell me what the numbers show.

And I never said that people don't watch PAC-8/10/12 games.  I said they are less inclined to tune into their games in the middle of the day, or on a Friday night, as opposed to Saturday evening.

Where is the quote where I made the statement to which you are referring?

On 1/4/2022 at 9:10 PM, Orange said:

And everyone says that before March madness about Michigan state or duke ot whoever; yet they don’t win year after year.  We get surprises, new champions. We’d get the same with football. 

16-team playoff or bust.  Anything less is bullshit. 

You're clueless.

Two completely different sports, and in no way can be compared as the same.  How many #13, 14, 15 or 16 seeds have ever made it to the Final Four, let alone won the entire tournament?  Zero.  Which means their existence in the tournament is nothing more than a money grab for games by teams that are not going to win the NC.

In football, teams 7-16 (in the format you suggest) are not threats to win the NC and are not going to generate whatever it is you think they will generate.  And teams 5 and 6 would have a very low percentage of winning a NC - if ever at all.

On 1/4/2022 at 12:23 PM, utenation said:

As slow as changes come for the playoff system, they should at least create a rule now that if you have two teams from the same conference in, they must play each other in the semi. Even though Cincy or Michigan would have got smashed in the final, at least we could see new faces rather than the fucking SEC title game again.

The 95 year old decision makers for the playoff structure spend too much time in the smoking room sipping brandy, smoking cigars and deciding who will suck the SEC's cock next rather than being progressive now on smart decisions.

The only thing necessary to keep SEC teams out of the playoffs, is to beat those teams during the regular season.  Don't blame the committee because other teams can't beat certain teams, during the regular season.

On 1/4/2022 at 12:14 PM, utenation said:

Falling Asleep Gif - IceGif

Just addressing someone's comment about the SEC in bowl games.

How did the PAC12 do?  Same as last year?  More painful is that they did as well as they're going to do next year.

We're officially just under 9 months before the 2022 CFB season kicks off, and the PAC-12 is already 16-20 in OOC play, and on the outside looking in for a chance in the CFP.

Archived