2023 P12 Football Thread

utenation

On 12/4/2023 at 12:30 PM, Chile_Ute said:

Absolute baller, he’ll land and do well somewhere.  I don’t blame him finding a place for PT. He was going back to 3 deep at least next year with Cam, Rose, ?Wilson (but rumor of a knee procedure coming up for him)

3* Freshman QB Mack Howard bouncing too.

Boise's Taylen Green out.  Freak of nature and talented. Very raw in the passing game. Boise has had several OCs/QB coaches in the last few years so I don't think he's been developed properly.  

6'6" amazing speed. 99% chance he's going P5. I like this kid.

https://www.kmvt.com/2023/12/04/boise-state-quarterback-taylen-green-enter-transfer-portal/

On 12/4/2023 at 3:08 PM, MrBug708 said:

They should play the guy who will actually br the future there

The problem is it’s probably not Moss, even though he’s pretty good. Nelson had a shoulder surgery after his senior season and it sounds like his rehab is taking longer. He injured it his junior season and put off surgery. Guess it might have bit him to wait. The message boards are saying LR is gonna pull a portal QB for next season.

On 12/4/2023 at 9:49 PM, KUGRDON said:

But ESPN pretends it had something to do with a broken leg.

I don’t know if this lost the power brokers $150 million but I know it was the lowest rated championship game since the BCS era began. 

I’ve heard a lot of talking heads today say they wanted to avoid another “ TCU situation” from last year.  With FSU being a broken down team. 

https://www.wuga.org/local-news/2023-01-11/uga-tcu-match-viewership-was-at-a-record-low?_amp=true

The 4 teams this year no matter who advances should draw massive ratings. 

And ratings are what’s important after all. I don’t know why the NFL NBA and MLB don’t pursue this way of ending the season with an invitational tournament rather than playoffs.  If Purdy and Mahomes get hurt don’t invite 49ers and Chiefs to the post season invitational.

• Haha 1

On 12/4/2023 at 10:36 AM, utenation said:

This guy didn't turn down ESPN's $30 million offer in 2022. Presidents foolishly did. 

As I recall, it was an OSU economics professor who told the league they were worth $50M per year, per team. It's time for OSU and WSU to admit their culpability. They supported Scott and GK for far too long.

On 12/5/2023 at 7:31 PM, win2bfree said:

It was Utah not OSU.

Yes. Our President came clean about it. Dumb move. Terrible. But everyone else who bought into this BS isn’t off the hook.  Lots of blame to go around. Multiple Presidents were pushing the idea of “ going to market” after they turned down $30 mill. 

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-truth-behind-the-pac-12s

On 12/5/2023 at 6:06 PM, glduck said:

Penix with the rare opportunity to win a Heisman but finish 2nd Team in his own conference.

Would you put him above Nix?

Penix has one of the best deep balls I’ve ever seen. Amazing touch on those balls too. 

But I think Nix is the most complete QB and offensive player in the conference but it’s hair tight. Penix is that good. 

Would I vote Penix over Nix for the Heisman? I would. I think Jayden Daniels went after the stats, and LSU was content to let him do that because they lost a bunch of games and weren’t playing for anything in November. So he’s third on my ballot. The Pac-12 CG was for the conference, the CFP, and the Heisman, and to the victor goes the spoils.

That said, I think Daniels likely wins a narrow vote over Penix.

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2023 at 5:06 PM, glduck said:

Penix with the rare opportunity to win a Heisman but finish 2nd Team in his own conference.

The P2 is known for this. Eric Kendricks won the Butkis award but the powers at the conference made him second team, behind three other LBers in the P12.

On 12/5/2023 at 9:23 PM, MrBug708 said:

The P2 is known for this. Eric Kendricks won the Butkis award but the powers at the conference made him second team, behind three other LBers in the P12.

Or how about when that WSU offensive tackle Cody whoever was named all American but was only honorable mention for all Pac12? 

On 12/5/2023 at 8:46 PM, glduck said:

Would I vote Penix over Nix for the Heisman? I would. I think Jayden Daniels went after the stats, and LSU was content to let him do that because they lost a bunch of games and weren’t playing for anything in November. So he’s third on my ballot. The Pac-12 CG was for the conference, the CFP, and the Heisman, and to the victor goes the spoils.

That said, I think Daniels likely wins a narrow vote over Penix.

All credit to you, GL, for this objective take. 

It is a weird Heisman year, in my view. Both Jayden Daniels and Nix have stats that are clearly way ahead of Penix's. I actually understand why Nix won Pac12 offensive player of the year. The volume of numbers he produced, the lack of mistakes, and the blowout wins were all really impressive.

Having said that, i always thought the Heisman was about something more than stats. Specifically, over the years it seems like it included a leadership component, as well as big plays during key wins of a successful (championship) season. If you factor in those intangibles, I think a good case can be made for Penix. I agree with your idea that the winner of the CCG should win the Heisman. 

I think Daniels likely wins it though, which will mostly just be a stats / east coast vote.