2023 P12 Football Thread

utenation

On 12/6/2023 at 3:58 PM, EastCoastFan said:

it's an odd thing to claim it's because of the "east coast vote."

It's just numbers. No one is claiming "bias" I don't think.

Seventy percent of the population lives east of the Mississippi River, and it's probably reasonable to assume that a similar percentage of the 900+ Heisman voters also live in the eastern part of the country. It's also reasonable to assume that at least half of the Heisman voters pay little to no attention to the sport.

Had Oregon won the Pac-12 Championship, I think Nix might have won it based solely on name recognition.

• Like 1

Gabriel from OU to Oregon? Probably a nice snag. Not sure I completely understand the move. 

OU holds their own on the power broker scene still and has plenty of offense even with a defensive HC. 

Maybe @HLB can explain why a future SEC QB would want to move to a little powerless school like Oregon that has no shot to win a NC and won’t even send a QB to NY this year for the Heisman?

On 12/12/2023 at 1:19 PM, utenation said:

Gabriel from OU to Oregon? Probably a nice snag. Not sure I completely understand the move. 

OU holds their own on the power broker scene still and has plenty of offense even with a defensive HC. 

Maybe @HLB can explain why a future SEC QB would want to move to a little powerless school like Oregon that has no shot to win a NC and won’t even send a QB to NY this year for the Heisman?

Wouldn’t it mean that he didn’t have much of a future at OU

On 12/12/2023 at 2:48 PM, KUGRDON said:

Wouldn’t it mean that he didn’t have much of a future at OU

Hmmm. He threw for 3700 yards, 30 TDs and 6 INTs this year. Sounds like he’s pretty useful to me. 

Reading up, his OC Lebby taking the HC job at Miss State was the reason he left. 

I’m not sure OU encouraged a QB with those numbers to go kick road apples down the street. 

• Thanks 1

I think it was a combination of his OC leaving and Oklahoma not willing to do much via an NIL deal because they have a younger kid they consider the future of the program they either have to start or probably lose to the portal. So even if Gabriel is the better QB at the moment, the portal forces coaches to make tough decisions.*

But I’m glad he’s here! Sounds like a perfect replacement for Nix.

*Just kidding, he was afraid of the SEC, obviously.

On 12/12/2023 at 4:23 PM, glduck said:

I think it was a combination of his OC leaving and Oklahoma not willing to do much via an NIL deal because they have a younger kid they consider the future of the program they either have to start or probably lose to the portal. So even if Gabriel is the better QB at the moment, the portal forces coaches to make tough decisions.*

But I’m glad he’s here! Sounds like a perfect replacement for Nix.

*Just kidding, he was afraid of the SEC, obviously.

A few months ago, I asked you guys about any up and coming QBs in the Oregon barn to replace Nix. You all told me the portal. lol. CFB is moving away from high school recruiting and development opting for the portal. This is now the normal in CFB. I’d love for the PAC North schools to go shake the B10 tree at the top and give Michigan and Ohio State a run for their money. 

@Mano and @Chile_Ute, I think there is a good chance we see some Brandon Rose in the bowl game. Based on Kyle's comments the other day. He wants to see some of the young guys. Barnes will definitely start but I'd love to see Rose get some PT.  He's shaken off the injury rust and fully incorporated into the bowl gameplan. 

He tore up spring ball and was the clear #2 going into Fall Camp. 

On 12/13/2023 at 11:17 AM, utenation said:

@Mano and @Chile_Ute, I think there is a good chance we see some Brandon Rose in the bowl game. Based on Kyle's comments the other day. He wants to see some of the young guys. Barnes will definitely start but I'd love to see Rose get some PT.  He's shaken off the injury rust and fully incorporated into the bowl gameplan. 

Nothing against Barnes, I respect that he is playing in the bowl game even though he is in the portal, but I would rather have them play Rose. Barnes is gone next year, would be nice to have a backup that has some real game reps in the program next year.

On 12/13/2023 at 11:24 AM, Mano said:

Nothing against Barnes, I respect that he is playing in the bowl game even though he is in the portal, but I would rather have them play Rose. Barnes is gone next year, would be nice to have a backup that has some real game reps in the program next year.

Agree 100%. I've been high on Rose all year. He's been running the scout team most of the year.  Rose is game rusty and inexperienced but let's see what the kid can do. 

This season is shot other than getting 9 wins but we really have nothing to lose by starting Rose. But Kyle has his process. He absolutely hates playing people that "aren't ready". 

On 12/12/2023 at 3:31 PM, utenation said:

A few months ago, I asked you guys about any up and coming QBs in the Oregon barn to replace Nix. You all told me the portal. lol. CFB is moving away from high school recruiting and development opting for the portal. This is now the normal in CFB. I’d love for the PAC North schools to go shake the B10 tree at the top and give Michigan and Ohio State a run for their money. 

Basically, lower-tier programs (which were already at a disadvantage with recruiting) are at a further disadvantage if they develop 3-star talent because then they'll lose them to the portal.

College football is fucking dead.

On 12/13/2023 at 11:17 AM, utenation said:

I’m assuming it doesn’t affect his medical redshirt…if not then let him run with offense.

On 12/13/2023 at 6:00 PM, utenation said:

Nope. I think you have to play so many games in the year to burn a redshirt. 

I knew that was true but if it’s medical redshirt then I’m not so sure….I honestly am too lazy to look it up.  But regardless, Rose seems to be heir apparent behind Cam.  I’m not sold that Wilson will knock him out of his place next year and there is rumor he redshirts for a minor knee procedure (again just scuttlebutt).

On 12/13/2023 at 6:04 PM, Chile_Ute said:

I knew that was true but if it’s medical redshirt then I’m not so sure….I honestly am too lazy to look it up.  But regardless, Rose seems to be heir apparent behind Cam.  I’m not sold that Wilson will knock him out of his place next year and there is rumor he redshirts for a minor knee procedure (again just scuttlebutt).

I got your back bro. 

How Do I Get One?
According to the NCAA rules, in order to be granted a medical redshirt, the athlete must:

• Suffer an injury that is deemed “season-ending”
  • Their injury must occur before the halfway point of the season
  • Not participate in more than 30% of the season’s games

https://www.2adays.com/blog/how-does-the-ncaa-medical-redshirt-work/

On 12/13/2023 at 6:04 PM, Chile_Ute said:

But regardless, Rose seems to be heir apparent behind Cam.  I’m not sold that Wilson will knock him out of his place next year and there is rumor he redshirts for a minor knee procedure (again just scuttlebutt).

I posted a decent article and my thoughts on Wilson on the recruiting thread today. I’ve watched him a lot this year locally. Badass. Unless there are major injuries again next year, I don’t think Wilson will get PT next year.  

Much like Mack Howard was stuffed in the roster. But Wilson very well could be our future. Unless he transfers lol. 

• Like 1