PAC-12 Bowl Season Thread

MrBug708

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn’t say the conference was making progress.

This may be difficult for a Bruin to comprehend, but the goal is to win the division, then the conference & make a NY6 Bowl.

kiffin and sark were unable to make it happen, but Helton has.  That’s why I called it progress.

2 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

I didn’t say the conference was making progress.

This may be difficult for a Bruin to comprehend, but the goal is to win the division, then the conference & make a NY6 Bowl.

kiffin and sark were unable to make it happen, but Helton has.  That’s why I called it progress.

I get what you're saying.. And there has been progress that way.. But it's pretty hard to ignore the overall failure as a conference.. I've seen a lot of talent/speed gaps in many of our bowl games this year....but mostly discipline and execution... Which is coaching and a false sense of worth playing 9 conference games against, frankly other average/bad teams...

Utah went 3-6 in conference this year and had a cupcake OOC...Including a bowl win over a beaten down B12 team without their starting QB and RB... Pretty pathetic...

We just suck this year as a conference..

6 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

You do realize we won the conference, right?

You do realize that the only reason you won the conference is because Washington took a big step back from last year and everyone else sucks right? No way this usc team finishes ahead of last years Washington team.  

Your skill players were worse, your qb performed worse, your offensive line was worse, you defense might be slightly better and this was against a far inferior conference slate. 

USC failed to put together a single offensive drive that yielded points against a true defense.  The only points came off an Ohio State gift.  

If USC is fine with being the best of the worst power 5 conference then their standards have dropped considerably.  However, most usc fans I know rightfully expect to compete for a national championship.  USC is clearly a long way away from that under Helton and no progress was made in this regard.

Meh, you’ve got to walk before you can run.   I don’t think anyone truly appreciates how bare the cupboard was after Kiffin & Sark.  Lots of stars in recruiting but after the holiday bowl against Wisconsin, it was clear that the team had absolutely no fundamentals whatsoever & had to be rebuilt from scratch.

So, I give Helton a lot of credit for repairing an airplane while in midair.  Are we where we want to be?  No.  Are we in better shape than we were?  Absolutely.  

In two years, Clay Helton has beaten Chris Petersen, Kyle Whittingham, David Shaw (twice), Brian Kelly, James Franklin, Tom Herman.  He’s only lost to Nick Saban, Mike Leach, Urban Meyer, David Shaw, Kyle Whittingham & Brian Kelly — all with (at the time) ranked teams, all either on the road or in neutral sites.  He’s never lost at home.  He's never lost to a team with a losing record.

As inconsistent as they’ve been, this season’s team probably makes the playoffs if JuJu and/or Adoree had stayed another year.  Most USC fans are completely unreasonable idiots, I couldn’t give a crap they are unsatisfied with 10-3 with a Rose bowl victory  and 11-3 with a P12 title.  I predicted 10-4 with a CCG loss so I am completely fine with the team’s progress/stability.  Troy wasn’t built in a day. 

I am still undecided on Helton. He is certainly  not a train wreck like Kiffin and Sark, seems competent, but perhaps USC could do better. I am happy they do not have an elite level coach, because they likely dominate this league for a decade or more if they get one. If he continues to get to the CCG, I would think his job is safe, but could see him being fired if they have a couple of 8 or fewer win seasons.

I wouldn’t have picked Helton, but until he actually fails, I don’t see why anyone should be down on him.

And no, losing to a favored, higher-ranked Urban Meyer-coached Ohio State team with a Top 15 offense AND defense is hardly the end of the world.

Can Helton actually do it?  Admittedly,  I have my doubts, but it seems like a pretty dumb time to want to fire him & start over before you find out.

18 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

No need to pile on

Why not pile on?  I guess I don't see what the thing is about Darnold that everyone loves.  Justin Herbert is bigger, just as mobile, and has much better stats than Darnold.  USC QBs are always way overrated by the NFL based on media hype and measurables.

14 minutes ago, PapaG said:

Why not pile on?  I guess I don't see what the thing is about Darnold that everyone loves.  Justin Herbert is bigger, just as mobile, and has much better stats than Darnold.  USC QBs are always way overrated by the NFL based on media hype and measurables.

Your team just got whipped by a MWC school. Lol at the smack talk.

Archived