PAC-12 Bowl Season Thread

MrBug708

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, glduck said:

UCF is claiming the national championship this season, and are paying their coaching staff accordingly. as cute as that is, it's still more legitimate than several SEC national championships:

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/alabama-s-1941-national-title-is-the-most-illegitimate-in-sports-072716/

Wow. Just wow. Looks like someone farted back then and they decided 20 years later that it won the national championship.

For all the teams playing by modern rules, this is outrageous.

3 hours ago, utenation said:

Wow. Just wow. Looks like someone farted back then and they decided 20 years later that it won the national championship.

For all the teams playing by modern rules, this is outrageous.

UDub did that after 47 years for something called the Helms title, and they have it on their scoreboard.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-huskies/1960-huskies-recognized-as-champs-at-last/

2 hours ago, glduck said:

i'm confused by the use of plural there. 

perhaps half-jealous of your half-natty.

You heard papa. We have a full Helms natty. 

Considering who I was poking at, I wasn't expecting a response from you. :) I guess chiming in on this beats coming to grips with the coaching death spiral that UO is on. It's like looking in the mirror from 20 yrs ago. 

Very successful coach leaves, trusted assistant takes over, sees some success but eventually runs team down (Lambright/Helfrich) --> Switch gears to outsider flimflam coach who seems set for success but deceives the fans/players, etc. on their way out the door (Neuheisel/Taggart) --> back to trusty assistant with bad head coaching record where everyone is sure (wants to believe?) that they will do better here (Gilby/Cristobal)

The good news is you got to stage three much sooner than we did so there's hope for you that the spiral may be shorter. Yet to come:

1. Strict indifferent disciplinarian who likes his paychecks but doesn't necessarily need many more of them and takes the program to it's utter depths.

2. Goofball drunk fratboy who's good enough in some ways but lacks wherewithal (and sometimes faculties) to see any real success. 

Good luck on the journey.:P

1 hour ago, trickydlck said:

Considering who I was poking at, I wasn't expecting a response from you. :) I guess chiming in on this beats coming to grips with the coaching death spiral that UO is on. It's like looking in the mirror from 20 yrs ago. 

Very successful coach leaves, trusted assistant takes over, sees some success but eventually runs team down (Lambright/Helfrich) --> Switch gears to outsider flimflam coach who seems set for success but deceives the fans/players, etc. on their way out the door (Neuheisel/Taggart) --> back to trusty assistant with bad head coaching record where everyone is sure (wants to believe?) that they will do better here (Gilby/Cristobal)

The good news is you got to stage three much sooner than we did so there's hope for you that the spiral may be shorter. Yet to come:

1. Strict indifferent disciplinarian who likes his paychecks but doesn't necessarily need many more of them and takes the program to it's utter depths.

2. Goofball drunk fratboy who's good enough in some ways but lacks wherewithal (and sometimes faculties) to see any real success. 

Sounds like the Ducks just need to skip to your current step, i.e. hire successful G5 coach.  Give Tedford a call in 2019?

Anyway, as an objective, rival observer, I don't think MC is a bad pick at all, and I don't think he's on par with Gilbertson.  He had success at FIU, taking over a program that was basically Texas State in Necessary Roughness, leading it to two winning seasons (their ONLY 2 winning seasons to that point).  Then he mentored under the best coach in college football history for 4 years.

Did Gilby have that kind of career?  I don't care to wiki-hop, but I doubt it.

2 hours ago, trickydlck said:

This did at least make me laugh.  So we have to go through one more coach before we can finally hire Kiffin.:lol:

3 hours ago, Orange said:

Sounds like the Ducks just need to skip to your current step, i.e. hire successful G5 coach.  Give Tedford a call in 2019?

Anyway, as an objective, rival observer, I don't think MC is a bad pick at all, and I don't think he's on par with Gilbertson.  He had success at FIU, taking over a program that was basically Texas State in Necessary Roughness, leading it to two winning seasons (their ONLY 2 winning seasons to that point).  Then he mentored under the best coach in college football history for 4 years.

Did Gilby have that kind of career?  I don't care to wiki-hop, but I doubt it.

Obviously was mostly for fun, agreed though, who knows how Cristobal will turn out. As Bug pointed out, Gilby saw success in I-AA. At Cal shape of it was similar to Cristobal, slow start, some success in the middle (Cal's 3rd bowl win since 1938), died out at the end. Starting points were different, blah, blah, blah, etc.Tilt your head the right way and they are a carbon copy of each other. Or don't and they're not.

On 1/5/2018 at 3:25 PM, MrBug708 said:

Gilby had a better winning percentage at Idaho than Erickson did, he had some decent credentials before he showed he couldn't coach at Cal

The guy spent DECADES as a journeyman assistant coach.  I don't think their careers are similar at all.  Cristobal is still in his 40s.

Player Name Score  Correct % Wrong % Correct
1 AcctUte  29  77.78%   
1 Orange  29 55.56%   
1 The Suboxone Susies  29  66.67%   
4 Card Tricks  28  55.56%   
4 scscsc89  28  66.67%   
6 Mano  26 44.44%   
7 Rosen to the Browns!  22 44.44%   
7 glduck  22 44.44%

Congrats to our Top 3 (no tiebreaker)

1 hour ago, glduck said:

little painful seeing tua tagovaiola in there doing well. helfriiiiiiiiiich

One of the more puzzling recruiting whiffs ever.  He was the fucking QB at Mariota's HS, yet Helfrich couldn't be bothered to seriously recruit him even though Tua was practically begging for a UO offer.

57 minutes ago, glduck said:

on that note

daaaaaaaaamn pharaoh goes after his old coach.

Yeaaaaah, it's becoming evident why Helfrich was fired, isn't it?  Did he do anything correct?  Obviously Marcus was basically the coach of those first two Helf years.

Archived