NFL Thread

PAC MAN

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Mano said:

Bolles has always had penalty issues in college, but he was so dominant that you put up with them.

That's why I'm thinking a different OL position besides center and LT would be best for him.  I think I'd put him at RT at this point.

6 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

That's why I'm thinking a different OL position besides center and LT would be best for him.  I think I'd put him at RT at this point.

So, get less value from his skills with the same penalties?  Doesn't seem like a great plan.

Bolles was the most skilled OL in the country last year. He had some issues being drawn offsides  by the defense, but he moved better than any OL I have ever seen here, and would regularly pancake defenders. You want him at LT because that is where his skills would best be utilized.

Just now, Jalapeno said:

He nearly got Siemian killed on one play.  Hopefully Broncos OC Mike McCoy (who made Tebow a decent QB) will line up a pass blocking TE to help him out.  Broncos are one bad hit on the QB away from disaster.

Siemien is going to get hurt at some point and it has little to do with his O-line. He is a slight dude. He is a guy who would get hurt behind Dallas' O-line. Every QB, even the well protected ones get hit eventually.

FYI - I like McCoy a lot, but Tim Tebow was never a decent QB. Never.

Looks like there are some QB controversies warming up: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sorting-the-preseason-pile-patrick-mahomes-might-force-chiefs-hand-in-2017/

Chicago: Look at their first eight games...Trubisky probably will start after the week 9 bye or as soon as the Bears are out of the running for the playoffs.

Jacksonville: Bortles is probably done at this point and Henne will probably start and the Jags will look for a good backup QB.  Why not Bortles?  If Bortles gets hurt at some point this season, the Jaguars are automatically on tab for $19 million for his fifth year option.  Fans are already turning on Bortles.  It just doesn't look good for Bortles.

Denver: Siemian is the starter but I'd be surprised if he is the long term answer at QB.  Chad Kelly could make things interesting again once his wrist heals.  John Elway probably told his scouts to start looking for a QB in next year's draft and probably told some people to review the fine print in Lynch's rookie contract.

Kansas City: Alex Smith is the starter but Patrick Mahomes is playing well in the preseason.  Once the Chiefs are out of the playoff race like Chicago, Mahomes will see playing time.

There are also some older QBs such as Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Carson Palmer,  and Big Ben who will be retiring as soon as this season is done or in the next year or two.  Eli Manning might not be far behind either.  The Vikings might need a new QB if Bridgewater can't recover and it's risky relying on Sam Bradford's health holding up.  I'm wondering if Andrew Luck will have to hang up his cleats sooner than later.

Hell of a time to be a starting QB in college football right now.  And kick yourself hard if you are a Redskins fan.  Talk about a huge blown opportunity given that the Cowboys and Eagles might have the long term answers at QB.  I'm trying to recall when the last time we saw such uncertainty at the QB position in the NFL.  And Kirk Cousins is really looking forward to his big payday along with some other QBs next March.

i can't think of a single reason why jacksonville shouldn't have signed kaepernick before training camp.

-- the biggest reason being what jalapeno already mentioned, 2018's $19 million option. the way i heard it (conjecture = fact in INTERNET LAW) if he plays in a single game and suffers a season-ending injury, that clause becomes fully guaranteed. 

-- the jags are not awful. they are league average-to-impressively skilled just about everywhere but QB. this is not a rebuilding situation, so tanking for sam darnold is nowhere near the ideal way to go. their talent alone, with bortles or henne, will win them more games than a few of the nfl's worst (specifically looking at you, jets). tanking for the 7th pick in the draft? that's not a strategy.

-- i watched kaepernick play quite a bit in the nfc west, i know he has obvious flaws. he's still much better than bortles or henne, and he's certainly been the best qb on the open market since FA began.

-- i like the titans to take the south, but another mariota injury and that division is wide open. in the post-manning era, 8 or 9 wins always seems to be enough to win it.

-- they have no fans to lose in a kaepernick boycott. they have, literally, no fans. 

I know it's preseason but the Raiders have ALOT of issues in defense.  There are several videos circulating the internet that show basic coaching failures such as the failure to adjust to basic motion by the offense, which results in the offense easily outnumbering the defense on running plays.  The secondary somehow looks worse than last year, which is something I was counting on improving based on the premise of "it can't get any worse."

linebackers are a disaster, they all suck. We are fairly decent at DT/DE but that is the only defensive position where I expect mediocrity at best.  You might say I'm overreacting and I probably am but the early returns don't look good.  

2 hours ago, glduck said:

i can't think of a single reason why jacksonville shouldn't have signed kaepernick before training camp.

-- the biggest reason being what jalapeno already mentioned, 2018's $19 million option. the way i heard it (conjecture = fact in INTERNET LAW) if he plays in a single game and suffers a season-ending injury, that clause becomes fully guaranteed. 

-- the jags are not awful. they are league average-to-impressively skilled just about everywhere but QB. this is not a rebuilding situation, so tanking for sam darnold is nowhere near the ideal way to go. their talent alone, with bortles or henne, will win them more games than a few of the nfl's worst (specifically looking at you, jets). tanking for the 7th pick in the draft? that's not a strategy.

-- i watched kaepernick play quite a bit in the nfc west, i know he has obvious flaws. he's still much better than bortles or henne, and he's certainly been the best qb on the open market since FA began.

-- i like the titans to take the south, but another mariota injury and that division is wide open. in the post-manning era, 8 or 9 wins always seems to be enough to win it.

-- they have no fans to lose in a kaepernick boycott. they have, literally, no fans. 

To be fair, Jacksonville has a sizable naval complex there so signing Kaepernick might not be the best idea to do so as to alienate the local fanbase.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/21/garett-bolles-denver-broncos-starting-left-tackle/

Bolles named starting LT.  Beating out Samabrillo and Stephenson wouldn't have taken that much.  Can't say I'm excited about the Broncos this season given how I think it will unfold.

1 hour ago, All Hail said:

I know it's preseason but the Raiders have ALOT of issues in defense.  There are several videos circulating the internet that show basic coaching failures such as the failure to adjust to basic motion by the offense, which results in the offense easily outnumbering the defense on running plays.  The secondary somehow looks worse than last year, which is something I was counting on improving based on the premise of "it can't get any worse."

linebackers are a disaster, they all suck. We are fairly decent at DT/DE but that is the only defensive position where I expect mediocrity at best.  You might say I'm overreacting and I probably am but the early returns don't look good.  

I think the Raiders win the AFC West this season.  That should make up for what should be a bowl less season at Cal.  I'm looking at the opposite as CU being a bowl team versus the Broncos not making the playoffs this season.

Question is who is over-reacting the most in this case? B)

24 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/21/garett-bolles-denver-broncos-starting-left-tackle/

Bolles named starting LT.  Beating out Samabrillo and Stephenson wouldn't have taken that much.  Can't say I'm excited about the Broncos this season given how I think it will unfold.

I think the Raiders win the AFC West this season.  That should make up for what should be a bowl less season at Cal.  I'm looking at the opposite as CU being a bowl team versus the Broncos not making the playoffs this season.

Question is who is over-reacting the most in this case? B)

Ken Norton Jr. could be fired or demoted by Week 5.  As your attached post states, basic things such as postioning after motion is leaving gaping holes for RBs to run and TEs open seam routes in the passing game.

10 minutes ago, RogueDuck said:

So you really believe that navy personnel are jaguar fans?

I can see his loose point. A lot of navy personnel go to San Diego games, not to watch the Padres, but it's a baseball game or they want to watch the opposing team.

Archived