NFL Thread

PAC MAN

On 8/1/2017 at 10:38 AM, PapaG said:

Andrew Luck would have been the #1 pick after his RS Soph year but stayed at Stanford.  I get the a vibe Darnold might do the same thing.

Given that Luck is having injury problems...maybe one less season in college could be the new thinking given the CTE issue.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

Man, that's sad.  The NFL should've recognized it earlier, but players themselves feed their own destruction with the culture of toxic masculinity.  Even that one quote in the story that talked about Jim playing when he shouldn't have -- "That's Jim".  Probably spoken with admiration.  Meanwhile, being "that way" sentenced himself and his family to a long after-football life of misery.  Who is that benefiting?  Guys, stop pretending you're "tough."  You're not.  Quite the opposite, you're too much of a coward to take the heat from teammates after stepping away when your body needs it.

Former UCLA DT and Norcal HS standout Eddie Vanderdoes is getting rave reviews from Raiders camp.  He is already running with the ones and his fellow teammates are gushing about his ability and talent.  Mack has done amazingly well with virtually nobody helping the interior and a secondary that can't cover for longer than 2 seconds.  I am excited to see a day in which the Raiders get that interior push as that will do wonders for Mack.  The Raiders will still be extremely weak at LB but everything else looks decent to solid. 

1 hour ago, All Hail said:

Former UCLA DT and Norcal HS standout Eddie Vanderdoes is getting rave reviews from Raiders camp.  He is already running with the ones and his fellow teammates are gushing about his ability and talent.  Mack has done amazingly well with virtually nobody helping the interior and a secondary that can't cover for longer than 2 seconds.  I am excited to see a day in which the Raiders get that interior push as that will do wonders for Mack.  The Raiders will still be extremely weak at LB but everything else looks decent to solid. 

Weak at DT too.  Teams will attack the middle.

1 hour ago, glduck said:

kudos to ucla and seahawk great kenny easley on the HOF induction. i was 2 when easley hung it up so i never saw him play but my dad was a big seahawk fan and always greatly admired him.

I got to meet Easley on his draft day.  Awesome guy.  I'll always remember somebody asking him if he was going to return punts for the Seahawks. He says there were two reasons why he wouldn't return punts, "1) I am not fast enough, and 2) I am not stupid enough."  I think he did return some punts though.  

3 hours ago, PapaG said:

Donald Penn still holding out of Raider camp.  He says he won't report without a new deal.  Raiders say they won't negotiate a new deal until he reports to camp.

Good times

He says nothing the entire offseason and then pulls this shit.  Sadly, the best course of action might be to cut Sean Smith and his terrible contract and pay Penn.  however, we have already invested too much money into the offensive line as it is.  If we pay Penn, we will have no money for Cooper.  I think we have to part with one and Penn is already getting up there in age.

16 hours ago, All Hail said:

He says nothing the entire offseason and then pulls this shit.  Sadly, the best course of action might be to cut Sean Smith and his terrible contract and pay Penn.  however, we have already invested too much money into the offensive line as it is.  If we pay Penn, we will have no money for Cooper.  I think we have to part with one and Penn is already getting up there in age.

Smith is still worth $9.5m against the cap even if he gets cut this year.  I'm hoping Penn just doesn't want to deal with training camp and is pulling a Walter Jones, but Jones was also an athletic freak who could stay mostly healthy even holding out of Seattle camp what seemed like every year.  If Penn wants to skip a $5.8m salary season at age 34, I say let him do it.  Nobody is going to pay him elite money this late in his career.

Unreal:  I heard on ESPN this morning that the Arizona Cardinals versus Dallas Cowboy HOF preseason game got higher television ratings than any of the NBA finals and all of major-league baseball playoffs except the World Series.  All while the Arizona Cardinals never played a starter for a single down.

feel free to dispute this, it's hard to believe.

1 hour ago, KUGRDON said:

Unreal:  I heard on ESPN this morning that the Arizona Cardinals versus Dallas Cowboy HOF preseason game got higher television ratings than any of the NBA finals and all of major-league baseball playoffs except the World Series.  All while the Arizona Cardinals never played a starter for a single down.

Well Trump's on vacation so no cable news about the drama in DC so the TV addicts had to watch something else and the Cowboys aren't without their own drama.

7 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

I read that it got higher ratings than all basketball games with the exception of the finals.  

8 minutes ago, All Hail said:

I read that it got higher ratings than all basketball games with the exception of the finals.  

I doubt Arizona-Jacksonville would have pulled anywhere near those ratings, but still, those are incredible numbers for a glorified scrimmage between players fighting to stay in the NFL.

Just now, PapaG said:

I doubt Arizona-Jacksonville would have got near those ratings, but still, those are incredible numbers for a glorified scrimmage between players fighting to stay in the NFL.

There's no denying the NFL's dominance in America.  What always gets me is that nobody else gives a fuck and yet dozens of countries care about basketball, baseball and even Hockey.  Handball is more popular abroad than football.  I don't get it.

14 hours ago, All Hail said:

There's no denying the NFL's dominance in America.  What always gets me is that nobody else gives a fuck and yet dozens of countries care about basketball, baseball and even Hockey.  Handball is more popular abroad than football.  I don't get it.

Random theory: In America, we're obsessed with eating until we're getting our limbs chopped off.  Football provides more breaks in the action for such activity.

Archived