ASU @ Utah

Chad Sexington

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All my kids are calling me to see who is coming with me to this game. Who’s my favorite child this week.

Expecting our largest crowd of the year. Will be loud. I love the 4 pm kickoff. 

Moss should break the all time rushing record during this game. He needs 60 yards. 

I think Utah rolls and covers.  It’s our time. Herm is sneaky good at putting games into a phone booth and playing things tight and close but we’re at home and are hitting on all cylinders right now. 

I said at the start of the year, Daniels has some growing pains as a rookie and by year’s end he’d be a nice QB. Needs to get bigger and stronger. He’s super skinny. I think Utah’s pass rush gives him a long day. 

from my viewpoint Utah fans dislike ASU more than any other school in the conference, and over any other school not named BYU  

I'm not exactly sure of the origin, but I believe it stems from:

1. Utah had more difficulty getting their first win over ASU in football than they did over the other 4 schools in the division.  Utah lost to ASU in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014, before finally defeating them in 2015.  We beat the Devils again in 2017, but to date we are 2-6 against the Sun Devils since joining the conference 

2. Ex-ASU coach Todd Graham seemed to throw shade at Utah on a couple of occasions and seemed like a pompous a$$hat,  That didn't help  

3. Add a couple of close recruiting battles that we've lost to ASU (we thought we had good shots at getting Jayden Daniels and Eno Benjamin) 

4. The hiring of the demonstrative Bobby Hurley to hoops 

5. A local sports radio host/newspaper journalist is a Sun Devil grad and loves to stir it up.  

This game worries me, ASU has had Utah's number in the past, and Utah has played so well the past couple of weeks that they could be feeling good about themselves and have a letdown.

Nostrodumbass picking against Utah in this one does give me some comfort that the Utes can win.

44 minutes ago, Scorcho said:

from my viewpoint Utah fans dislike ASU more than any other school in the conference, and over any other school not named BYU  

1. Utah had more difficulty getting their first win over ASU in football than they did over the other 4 schools in the division.  Utah lost to ASU in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014, before finally defeating them in 2015.  We beat the Devils again in 2017, but to date we are 2-6 against the Sun Devils since joining the conference 

2. Ex-ASU coach Todd Graham seemed to throw shade at Utah on a couple of occasions and seemed like a pompous a$$hat,  That didn't help  

3. Add a couple of close recruiting battles that we've lost to ASU (we thought we had good shots at getting Jayden Daniels and Eno Benjamin) 

5. A local sports radio host/newspaper journalist is a Sun Devil grad and loves to stir it up.  

For me, it was mostly Todd Graham... I think @MrBug708 coined the best phrase “Britney Spears mic” and his other goofy wristbands etc. Add in, trying to steal plays.

He was talking about winning national championships the day he set foot on campus. Not to mention informed his previous players at Pitt by text that he was leaving. Slimy, Used Car Salesman. Didn’t put in the work to run his mouth. But I think most P12 fans thought this, not just Utes.

I doubted Herm and wondered if he was washed up but he’s my kinda coach.  Old school. Respects the game and opponents. I consider the recruiting battles part of business.

I view ASU as just another strong South opponent today.

People (myself included) snickered when the Devils hired Mr “Play to Win the Game.”  He has gone on to improve every aspect of that program, and the result is that they are decidedly turning upward as a program. The Devils don’t wow opponents with experience, but they are truly a young talented group. They find ways to win. He is showing himself as a very capable leader. This is why I’m nervous about this game. 

3 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

People (myself included) snickered when the Devils hired Mr “Play to Win the Game.”  He has gone on to improve every aspect of that program, and the result is that they are decidedly turning upward as a program. The Devils don’t wow opponents with experience, but they are truly a young talented group. They find ways to win. He is showing himself as a very capable leader. This is why I’m nervous about this game. 

I’m already picking them to win the South next year. We lose a lot. Could happen this year.

I have been thinking ASU as South champs next year too.  Who knows about USC & UCLA next season?  You Ute fans said that Utah loses a lot after this season.  CU is going break in a new QB and maybe two or three new starting WRs plus I expect the Buffs to be younger next season plus who knows how many players are leaving via attrition?  Wildcats will have a new starting QB next season as well.  ASU is just in good hands right now when you consider the next year or two.

As for this game, Utah should win this one easily if Utah gets in Daniels' face all day long.

And @Scorcho, Ute fans aren't the only ones in the South besides the Wildcats that dislikes those Scum Devils.

On 10/14/2019 at 9:45 AM, Scorcho said:

I think it comes from the two schools not respecting what the other brings to the table. ASU has this oversized ego with little to back it up with. From the other side, they want us to stay in our lane and be the lucky G5 that got the golden ticket. So anytime we beat each other we feel vindicated in our positions.

I don't see ASU winning this game.

The Devils have squeaked past a couple of solid defensive teams that have mostly terrible offenses, and split close games with two teams that have decent offenses and little to no defense. 

The Utes are an entirely different animal, especially at home. They'll take advantage of the holes in ASU's defense (and there are many) and its inexperienced quarterback.

Utah bigly.

3 hours ago, FountainofUte said:

I think it comes from the two schools not respecting what the other brings to the table. ASU has this oversized ego with little to back it up with. From the other side, they want us to stay in our lane and be the lucky G5 that got the golden ticket. So anytime we beat each other we feel vindicated in our positions.

Just curious. Have you ran into ASU fans that think that?  I’ve never fought with an ASU fan. Ever. Haven’t seen many on boards though.

1 hour ago, utenation said:

Just curious. Have you ran into ASU fans that think that?  I’ve never fought with an ASU fan. Ever. Haven’t seen many on boards though.

I live in Phoenix and ASU fans rarely talk about Utah unless they are getting ready to play Utah.

59 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

I keep reading that the Devils lack a pass rush. If that’s true then regardless of how good their defensive backfield might be, if Huntley has time to sit back and survey the field he’ll shred them. I don’t know that I believe that ASU’s rush is that weak. 

The lack of a pass rush could be attributed to ASU losing at home to CU where ASU didn't pressure Montez and after that game, the ASU DC said he'd make adjustments.  Don't know if ASU is blitzing more or not.

ASU might try to make Huntley heat them with his arm and I don't think that's gonna work either.  Just force a few three and outs on ASU's O and grind that Sun Devil D to a pulp and the Utes should have no problems there.

Archived