The Bowl Thread

Scscsc89

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:30 PM, PapaG said:

Utah and Oregon are every bit as good as Oklahoma.

Other than Oregon being able to beat Utah, there is no other team in the T15 that either Utah or Oregon could beat.

This is a classic example of what I meant when I said that P12 fans don't grasp the gap between the P12 and other conferences.  There's not reason why Oregon should be #6, and why BAMA or Auburn should be behind both Oregon and Utah.  That's laughable.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:38 PM, glduck said:

Utah will beat Texas. 

Wazzu/AF will be a fun contrast in style.

Every Oregon/Wisconsin game has been a blast, no reason this one won’t live up to it.

There's a good chance Utah could beat Texas - because Texas isn't a ranked team, and unranked teams are all that Utah can beat.  And I don't think that Oregon offers anything that Wisconsin hasn't seen, given their two games against Ohio State.  But I do think that Wisconsin RB Jonathon Taylor is something that Oregon is caliber of player that Oregon hasn't faced this season.  If Taylor bust 150-yards for the game, I think Oregon will have a hard time winning this game.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:03 PM, Scscsc89 said:

After watching a lot of USC football, I think we stack up pretty well against a stay-in-the-pocket QB and a defense that wants to slow things down & keep the score low.  

(Haven't seen a ton of Iowa football this season but that's usually the Ferentz M.O.)

Hawkeyes are probably most like Washington, who we would have probably done better against if we had had Slovis.  

Should be a good game ... if we show up.

Iowa's been on TV almost every week.

Of all the P12 games, I like USC's chances to beat Iowa the best. 

16 hours ago, Orange said:

So would Oregon State and CU.

In OOC play, SEC teams face one P5 opponent, two G5 opponents and one FCS opponent.  Based on this year's performance, OSU would lose three of those games, CU would probably lose one, and AZ would probably lose two.  Where are the remaining 3-to-5 wins needed to become bowl eligible going to come from?

In the SEC West you face BAMA, Auburn, LSU, TAMU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Arkansas.  In the SEC East you face UGA, FLA, S. Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri, Kentucky and Vanderbilt.

I don't see more than two conference wins for any one of the three teams mentioned, regardless of which division you played in.

7 hours ago, HLB said:

Other than Oregon being able to beat Utah, there is no other team in the T15 that either Utah or Oregon could beat.

This is a classic example of what I meant when I said that P12 fans don't grasp the gap between the P12 and other conferences.  There's not reason why Oregon should be #6, and why BAMA or Auburn should be behind both Oregon and Utah.  That's laughable.

Please cry more.

7 hours ago, HLB said:

In OOC play, SEC teams face one P5 opponent, two G5 opponents and one FCS opponent.  Based on this year's performance, OSU would lose three of those games, CU would probably lose one, and AZ would probably lose two.  Where are the remaining 3-to-5 wins needed to become bowl eligible going to come from?

In the SEC West you face BAMA, Auburn, LSU, TAMU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss and Arkansas.  In the SEC East you face UGA, FLA, S. Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri, Kentucky and Vanderbilt.

I don't see more than two conference wins for any one of the three teams mentioned, regardless of which division you played in.

pReDicTiOnS

dumb dummy GIF

Oklahoma State finished the season ranked.  Plenty of SEC teams play 3 G5 opponents and an FCS opponent, giving OS a great shot at going 4-0 outside of the conference.  In conference, the Beavs showed a propensity for beating above .500 teams on the road pretty routinely.  Pretty easy to find 4 wins out of that 8, particularly if Vandy, Mizzou, Tennessee, S. Carolina , Kentucky and Ole Miss are in that grouping.  Hell, we probably would've been an 8-win team in the SEC.  Gator Bowl! 

6 hours ago, HLB said:

Can't speak for Oregon State but I'll gladly speak for CU.

Bama, Auburn, LSU, UGA, and FLA would probably be losses for CU.  Having faced TAMU in the past in the Big 12, they don't scare me because they typically underachieve.  Ditto for Missouri.  Given how well both former Big 12 schools did in their early SEC tenures, I'd be more optimistic about CU's chances in the SEC than you would be.

Mizzou, Miss State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, SC, Tenn, UK, and Vandy do not strike me as teams that would have a major talent advantage over CU.

8 hours ago, HLB said:

there is no other team in the T15 that either Utah or Oregon could beat.

That is a classic example of bubble dwelling SEC fan. Since Oregon and Wisconsin are the only T10 matchup outside the CFP, I guess this bogus claim is totally dependent on the Rose Bowl, yet you're hedging on that game. You've also avoided rebutting any of the responses I've given you regarding you're myopic view of college football on other threads. 

7 hours ago, HLB said:

Where are the remaining 3-to-5 wins needed to become bowl eligible going to come from?

They'd come from the 2/3 of the SEC that absolutely sucks. There's nothing to "face" in Arky, Vandy, Ole Miss, MSU, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, S. Carolina or even A&M. That's nine stiffs out of 14 teams, and you only have to play eight of 'em. 

8 hours ago, HLB said:

Auburn beat Oregon on a last minute TD after OC Marcus Arroyo, who UNLV thankfully took off of UO’s hands, decided to try and run out the clock starting mid-3rd quarter while Oregon had a solid lead.  Auburn ran all over Alabama yet couldn’t move the ball until late in the game against the Ducks.

You have dumb football takes that are based solely on your opinion.  That’s why you get heat here.  I’m embarrassed for you but I do realize that you’re just trolling a few of the extremely emotional posters here for reactions.  It is funny in that way.  It’s not at all a challenge to get them to go nutso but I do appreciate your troll game.

13 hours ago, HLB said:

LOL!

I did a little research, just to see. Texas A&M, who you tacitly suggest is the best of the SEC's worst, finished 7-5, with losses to Clemson, Auburn, 'Bama, UGA and LSU. Their seven wins came against Texas State, Lamar, Arky, Ole Miss, MSU, Texas San Antonio and South Carolina. What a gauntlet!

Mississippi State, which finished 6-6, lost to everyone you'd expect, and beat Louisiana Lafayette, So. Miss., UK, Arky, Abilene Christian and Ole Miss (on a fluke). Yeah, the Beavers would be bowling in the SEC.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:58 AM, Orange said:

pReDicTiOnS

dumb dummy GIF

Oklahoma State finished the season ranked.  Plenty of SEC teams play 3 G5 opponents and an FCS opponent, giving OS a great shot at going 4-0 outside of the conference.  In conference, the Beavs showed a propensity for beating above .500 teams on the road pretty routinely.  Pretty easy to find 4 wins out of that 8, particularly if Vandy, Mizzou, Tennessee, S. Carolina , Kentucky and Ole Miss are in that grouping.  Hell, we probably would've been an 8-win team in the SEC.  Gator Bowl! 

What a complete idiot.

I wasn't talking about Oklahoma State.  I was talking about Oregon State.

List for me the SEC teams that play routinely play 3 G5 opponents and an FCS opponent, in OOC play …. It's obvious that you've never really looked at SEC OOC schedules and are speaking on the basis of what you perceive and not what facts actually show.  SEC teams routinely play one P5, two G5 opponents and an FCS opponent.  Georgia and South Carolina, routinely play two P5, one G5 and one FCS.  Florida and LSU will occasionally play two P5, one G5 and an FCS opponent.

There have been a handful of exceptions.  This year, Arkansas - because they sucked so badly - avoided a P5 OOC opponent, in their 4 OOC games..  But such scheduling is rare, and not the norm for SEC teams.  I challenge you to look up past OOC schedules of SEC schools and list for me the teams and years where they play 3 G5 and one FCS opponent, in OOC play.

Oregon State lost to OK State and Hawaii, in OOC play.  They beat their FCS opponent, for one of their 5 wins. 

"A propensity of beating above .500 teams on the road pretty routinely" …. WOW!  Here are OS road wins:  UCLA, Cal and AZ.  Only one of those teams (Cal) had an "above .500
 record", and that was just one game over .500.

You're gloating about a team that won four CGs in a conference where only one the best OOC win was over a 6-6 Michigan State team; no OOC wins against teams with winning records; no OOC wins against ranked teams; four OOC losses to G5 opponents (that I can recall, there may be more); no OOC wins over ranked opponents; and where the conference itself only had 3 teams with 8 wins or more …. Congratulations for those 5 wins against average-to-below-average competition.

OS couldn't get six wins with this year's schedule.  No way would they get 8 wins in the SEC.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:38 PM, Quack 12 said:

LOL!

I did a little research, just to see. Texas A&M, who you tacitly suggest is the best of the SEC's worst, finished 7-5, with losses to Clemson, Auburn, 'Bama, UGA and LSU. Their seven wins came against Texas State, Lamar, Arky, Ole Miss, MSU, Texas San Antonio and South Carolina. What a gauntlet!

Mississippi State, which finished 6-6, lost to everyone you'd expect, and beat Louisiana Lafayette, So. Miss., UK, Arky, Abilene Christian and Ole Miss (on a fluke). Yeah, the Beavers would be bowling in the SEC.

If TXA&M has the Beaver's schedule, they would be 10-2 or 12-0 …. If MSST had the Beaver's schedule, they would be 8-4 or 9-3.

Oregon State would not beat MSU, UK or S. Carolina.  They couldn't beat Hawaii

If Oregon - not OS - had TXA&M's schedule, they would be 7-5, too.  Clemson, AUBURN, BAMA, UGA and LSU is, indeed a gauntlet.

If Oregon had MSST's schedule, they would have lost to AUBURN, BAMA, LSU, TXA&M, and perhaps one more - perhaps K-STATE.

With either schedule, any no PAC12 team would have faired better, or be ranked.

1 hour ago, HLB said:

If TXA&M has the Beaver's schedule, they would be 10-2 or 12-0 …. If MSST had the Beaver's schedule, they would be 8-4 or 9-3.

Oregon State would not beat MSU, UK or S. Carolina.  They couldn't beat Hawaii

If Oregon - not OS - had TXA&M's schedule, they would be 7-5, too.  Clemson, AUBURN, BAMA, UGA and LSU is, indeed a gauntlet.

If Oregon had MSST's schedule, they would have lost to AUBURN, BAMA, LSU, TXA&M, and perhaps one more - perhaps K-STATE.

With either schedule, any no PAC12 team would have faired better, or be ranked.

I hope you get AIDS for xmas.

Archived