Your Football Team's Biggest Concerns Entering Fall Camp/2019 Season

PAC MAN

CU's biggest concerns are:

1. Defensive Line

CU was supposed to have an Auburn grad transfer, Jauntavius Johnson, who has great size for a nose tackle on the team this upcoming season.  I found out that his wife and children were in a serious car wreck in Alabama and he's on the UAB roster so that's understandable.  Musfta Johnson is back and he will play at one DE position.  Terrance Lang, the 6'7" 275 possibly 285 freak will man the other DE position in CU's three man defensive line.  You have Jalen Sami who is coming off a redshirt freshman season and he's 6'6" 320 and will do the nose tackle position.  After that, there's no real depth.  If one of those starting three goes down, CU is in big trouble.  There's one incoming JUCO DT and three more high school DTs as well.  Looks like there might be no redshirts in this group this coming season.  I think this unit will make or break CU's season.  Johnson is a DL that is capable of getting to the QB so he will draw some double teams for sure.

2. Secondary

This unit has been hit by transfer outs perahps since Mike MacIntyre's area of emphasis was DBs since he was a former DB himself.  Mel Tucker played as a DB himself and might be too hard nosed for MacIntyre's DBs so they mostly left.  @glduck is surely going to miss MacIntyre's tears of joy after some big wins. :lol:   Some players are coming back form injury but this unit is going to have to turn it around this season and given the DL's issues, it could end up being a good season or a real bad one.

3. Running Backs

CU has had two consecutive 1,000 yard RBs in Lindsay and McMillian.  Both are gone and judging by how CU's spring football game went, a true freshman RB will take the reins.  I'm thinking Jaren Mangham will be the man here since he ran wild in the spring game and Joe Davis did good in the spring game.  I was not impressed with the RBs that Tucker inherited from MacIntyre but the CU OL has beefed up in the weight room and there's an Oklahoma State transfer incoming so those freshman RBs should be good to go but the concern is pass blocking which pretty much determines who starts and who backs up at that position.  I'll be surprised if it's a MacIntyre leftover that gets the starting nod.

4. Tight Ends

That position is coming back to the CU offense and CU has some transfers plus some players that I believe have some potential.  The question is will ******n Montez expand past the WRs in the passing game?  

For UW, replacing 8 starters on the defense.  Every level of the defense will have mostly new players (d-line, LB, secondary). There are some highly rated defensive players on the roster, but mostly young. I think it is very likely the defense takes a step back, certainly at the start of the season. 

Also, will Jacob Eason be an upgrade over Browning? He has a better arm, and was a 5 star coming out of high school, but there is obviously more that goes in to good QB play than a strong arm. He should have plenty of weapons to work with, and hopefully he will be able to lean on the running game (Savon Ahmed in particular).  

2 hours ago, row Z said:

For UW, replacing 8 starters on the defense.  Every level of the defense will have mostly new players (d-line, LB, secondary). There are some highly rated defensive players on the roster, but mostly young. I think it is very likely the defense takes a step back, certainly at the start of the season. 

Also, will Jacob Eason be an upgrade over Browning? He has a better arm, and was a 5 star coming out of high school, but there is obviously more that goes in to good QB play than a strong arm. He should have plenty of weapons to work with, and hopefully he will be able to lean on the running game (Savon Ahmed in particular).  

On defense I would say that UW's biggest issue is getting a disruptive pass rush, something UW has not had the benefit of since Joe Mathis went down in 2016.  Also worrisome is linebacker play and depth.  Most of the highly rated recruits are on the DL and secondary.  If none of the linebackers breaks out or a few do and then there are injuries, that could be a problem.

On offense I would say that the biggest issue is replacing Myles Gaskin.  Though the talent is there,  Gaskin is not replaced until someone officially takes hold of the spot.  Pre-Gaskin, UW had a good run with Polk and Sankey and after they left the RB position was such a struggle that the best RB in this period was LB Shaq Thompson.  At the very least the running backs this time will have a better, more experienced OL and a QB who at least threatens the deep ball.    Also Bush Hamdan is front and center.  He struggled in his first year as OC.  If he takes a step forward in year 2 (like Pete Kwiatkowski did on defense after a so-so year 1) then the sky is the limit.  If not, there will be a lot of frustrated fans, and possibly another ASU 2017 or Cal 2018 type game awaiting UW.

Edited to Add:  Also if they make it to the big stage again (playoffs/Access Bowl) can they win a big game against a big time opponent or are they just "good for a PAC 12 team".

On 7/12/2019 at 3:26 PM, win2bfree said:

On defense I would say that UW's biggest issue is getting a disruptive pass rush, something UW has not had the benefit of since Joe Mathis went down in 2016.  Also worrisome is linebacker play and depth.  Most of the highly rated recruits are on the DL and secondary.  If none of the linebackers breaks out or a few do and then there are injuries, that could be a problem.

• True, linebacker is the biggest concern.

On offense I would say that the biggest issue is replacing Myles Gaskin.  Though the talent is there,  Gaskin is not replaced until someone officially takes hold of the spot.  Pre-Gaskin, UW had a good run with Polk and Sankey and after they left the RB position was such a struggle that the best RB in this period was LB Shaq Thompson.  At the very least the running backs this time will have a better, more experienced OL and a QB who at least threatens the deep ball.    Also Bush Hamdan is front and center.  He struggled in his first year as OC.  If he takes a step forward in year 2 (like Pete Kwiatkowski did on defense after a so-so year 1) then the sky is the limit.  If not, there will be a lot of frustrated fans, and possibly another ASU 2017 or Cal 2018 type game awaiting UW.

• I agree about replacing Gaskin. His productivity was ridiculous, and it is very unlikely a single back will be able to duplicate what he did every year. But, the o-line should be very good, and we have talent at RB, so ... i put my concerns about RB a little below the QB, who is rusty and didn't look great in the spring game. 

Edited to Add:  Also if they make it to the big stage again (playoffs/Access Bowl) can they win a big game against a big time opponent or are they just "good for a PAC 12 team".

• While I agree, this is one of those "concerns" that really shows how high our expectations for the team have become. Wouldn't have dreamed of saying this 4-5 years ago. Actually, you could say the same thing about my "concern" that Eason may not be an upgrade over Browning, only the most productive passer in UW history.

1. Qb - we don’t have a good one

2. RBs - we don’t have a good one

3. WRs - we don’t have a good one

4. TEs - we don’t have a good one

5. Offensive Coordinator - we don’t have a good one 

we could be looking at one of the worst pac 12 offenses of the decade.  No skill players, no qb, no scheme.  

On 7/12/2019 at 12:37 PM, Jalapeno said:

CU's biggest concerns are:

1. Defensive Line

CU was supposed to have an Auburn grad transfer, Jauntavius Johnson, who has great size for a nose tackle on the team this upcoming season.  I found out that his wife and children were in a serious car wreck in Alabama and he's on the UAB roster so that's understandable.  Musfta Johnson is back and he will play at one DE position.  Terrance Lang, the 6'7" 275 possibly 285 freak will man the other DE position in CU's three man defensive line.  You have Jalen Sami who is coming off a redshirt freshman season and he's 6'6" 320 and will do the nose tackle position.  After that, there's no real depth.  If one of those starting three goes down, CU is in big trouble.  There's one incoming JUCO DT and three more high school DTs as well.  Looks like there might be no redshirts in this group this coming season.  I think this unit will make or break CU's season.  Johnson is a DL that is capable of getting to the QB so he will draw some double teams for sure.

2. Secondary

This unit has been hit by transfer outs perahps since Mike MacIntyre's area of emphasis was DBs since he was a former DB himself.  Mel Tucker played as a DB himself and might be too hard nosed for MacIntyre's DBs so they mostly left.  @glduck is surely going to miss MacIntyre's tears of joy after some big wins. :lol:   Some players are coming back form injury but this unit is going to have to turn it around this season and given the DL's issues, it could end up being a good season or a real bad one.

3. Running Backs

CU has had two consecutive 1,000 yard RBs in Lindsay and McMillian.  Both are gone and judging by how CU's spring football game went, a true freshman RB will take the reins.  I'm thinking Jaren Mangham will be the man here since he ran wild in the spring game and Joe Davis did good in the spring game.  I was not impressed with the RBs that Tucker inherited from MacIntyre but the CU OL has beefed up in the weight room and there's an Oklahoma State transfer incoming so those freshman RBs should be good to go but the concern is pass blocking which pretty much determines who starts and who backs up at that position.  I'll be surprised if it's a MacIntyre leftover that gets the starting nod.

4. Tight Ends

That position is coming back to the CU offense and CU has some transfers plus some players that I believe have some potential.  The question is will ******n Montez expand past the WRs in the passing game?  

This is quite the break down for a team that consistently finishes last or near last in the conference every year and just fired their 30th coach in 5 years.  I’m not really sure who even plays for CU. I mean does it matter? I’m sure the encyclopedia of what ifs, should haves and could haves will be thick and hot and heavy as the season approaches. And lord knows the excuses during the season are enough to make a whore in church nervous.

Last I heard from you about CU football, Montez had NFL scouts drooling and wouldn’t be back for his senior year to go right to the pro bowl. Guess that one was a bad misfire.

i can’t wait to see the weekly CU uniform combination threads to see which version of black, gold, grey and white uniforms CU will get their asses handed to them in.

Justin Herbert 2017: 

Comp %: 67.5

YPA: 9.6

Rating: 167.6

Justin Herbert 2018:

Comp %: 59.4

YPA: 7.8

Rating: 144.7

WTF?

Rushing Stats 2017:

YPC: 5.2

TD: 40

YPG: 251

Mind you, this was with the worst QB in modern Pac history at QB, who himself did shit on the ground. Look it up. 260 yards a game at 5.5 ypc against  Utah, UW, Stanford UCLA WITHOUT JUSTIN HERBERT AT QB. Oregon faced  3 of the 5? best rush defenses in the conference without Herbert and *crushed* it on the ground. Obviously they couldn't finish the RZ because of the guy who makes Joe Ayoob look like Patrick Mahomes. 

Rushing Stats 2018:

YPC: 4.4

TD: 28

YPG: 179

And  yayaya, Royce Freeman left. Meanwhile 100 OL starts returned. The all time single season WR returned. The first or second QB in whatever draft returned. 

But Taggart is a shit dying coach and Crystalballs is a GOD!

3 hours ago, dtd said:

Obviously they couldn't finish the RZ because of the guy who makes Joe Ayoob look like Patrick Mahomes. 

This has to be an exaggeration right?  Don’t allow the legend of Joe Ayoob to fade so quickly from your memory. Never forget, 0-11 against Sac State with several passes missing high by about 5 feet. 

8 hours ago, dtd said:

But Taggart is a shit dying coach and Crystalballs is a GOD!

I am unaware of any Duck fan who thinks Cristobal is the next Urban Meyer but his culture is attracting good recruits.  Meanwhile, Taggart smoked pot all day long and is completely aloof.  He sure crushed it at FSU last year.  I also wonder how his weed smoking is playing in Tallahassee or if he stopped being high in his office.

9 hours ago, All Hail said:

This has to be an exaggeration right?  Don’t allow the legend of Joe Ayoob to fade so quickly from your memory. Never forget, 0-11 against Sac State with several passes missing high by about 5 feet. 

Braxton Burmeister is 10x worse. 

Archived