Picking Up The Pieces

PAC MAN

On 8/29/2023 at 10:31 AM, glduck said:

I remember arguing with Minnesota fans on the ESPN boards before the 1999 Sun Bowl.

Nearing a quarter century of terrible takes on the internet!

Something, something, "Derek Anderson will throw all over the field against USC!!!!" might've come out of my keyboard, but the evidence is lost.

On 8/30/2023 at 10:18 AM, Orange said:

Yeah, as a journalism major who was actually published in newspapers, I would constantly slap my forehead reading his junk.

Isn’t @HLBa world renowned Pulitzer Prize winning author?  He told us he’s written several books and articles on college football and athletics in general. 

P5 coaches and ADs often come to him for advice on business, recruiting and to develop their playbooks. 

I went into my local bookstore to try to get a copy of his latest work of art: I Invented the Spread Offense, but they’ve been sold out for months. Sold out on Amazon as well. Shucks. 

On 8/30/2023 at 2:31 PM, utenation said:

Isn’t @HLBa world renowned Pulitzer Prize winning author?  He told us he’s written several books and articles on college football and athletics in general. 

P5 coaches and ADs often come to him for advice on business, recruiting and to develop their playbooks. 

I went into my local bookstore to try to get a copy of his latest work of art: I Invented the Spread Offense, but they’ve been sold out for months. Sold out on Amazon as well. Shucks. 

I've heard they're clearing space on the shelves for his new book about the widespread voter fraud that cost Trump the election.  

On 8/31/2023 at 8:21 AM, EastCoastFan said:

Wasn't the widespread voter fraud which put the wrong person in the White House in 2016?

They call that the "Electoral College" and the original fraudsters were Thomas Jefferson and James Madison.  They had to make sure slave states got disproportionate say, and we've had nothing but fucking right-of-center-to-right-wing fascists ever since.

On 8/31/2023 at 8:43 AM, Mano said:

As far as I know there has never been voter fraud sufficient to swing any election. 

I think the closest case would have been 1960 when there was reported fraud in Illinois and Texas. Some people thought that might’ve swung that extremely close election.

“Scholarly analysis of the question of how Kennedy won has focused, quite rightly, on administration of the electoral process in two crucial states:  Illinois and Texas.  Kennedy ultimately was credited with the electoral votes of both, which gave him victory in the Electoral College tally.  The problem with answering the question of how he prevailed there is twofold in nature.  In Illinois, the most recent and fair-minded study (Kallina’s Kennedy v. Nixon) concludes that sufficient evidence does not exist to determine whether Chicago’s Democratic machine stole more votes there than Republicans did downstate.  Texas presents a different kind of problem.  A system of free and fair elections in the modern sense had not yet taken hold on the ground there in 1960.  Voter fraud was fairly common, safeguards to prevent it were few, and 1960 was no different in those respects.  Thus, the most dispassionate analysis of this issue from the perspective of fifty years later is that we will never know whether Kennedy really “won,” in the sense of what result an entirely honest and effective administration of the electoral process in Illinois and Texas would have produced on Election Day in 1960.”

On 8/31/2023 at 9:59 AM, KUGRDON said:

I think the closest case would have been 1960 when there was reported fraud in Illinois and Texas. Some people thought that might’ve swung that extremely close election.

“Scholarly analysis of the question of how Kennedy won has focused, quite rightly, on administration of the electoral process in two crucial states:  Illinois and Texas.  Kennedy ultimately was credited with the electoral votes of both, which gave him victory in the Electoral College tally.  The problem with answering the question of how he prevailed there is twofold in nature.  In Illinois, the most recent and fair-minded study (Kallina’s Kennedy v. Nixon) concludes that sufficient evidence does not exist to determine whether Chicago’s Democratic machine stole more votes there than Republicans did downstate.  Texas presents a different kind of problem.  A system of free and fair elections in the modern sense had not yet taken hold on the ground there in 1960.  Voter fraud was fairly common, safeguards to prevent it were few, and 1960 was no different in those respects.  Thus, the most dispassionate analysis of this issue from the perspective of fifty years later is that we will never know whether Kennedy really “won,” in the sense of what result an entirely honest and effective administration of the electoral process in Illinois and Texas would have produced on Election Day in 1960.”

Pre-1965 analysis of "voter fraud" is especially obscene given that black turnout in the South was something like 40% back then (it was about 72% elsewhere in the country).  That's because southern election officials made black people guess jelly beans in a jar or recite the penal code backwards in order to register.

Nixon would've lost by 5 million votes if black people had voting rights.

On 8/31/2023 at 8:43 AM, Mano said:

As far as I know there has never been voter fraud sufficient to swing any election. 

I was only thinking of presidential elections. I would be shocked, shocked, I say, if there were not fraudulent elections in other contests, particularly city elections.  Plus Org is correct, Democrats stole many elections in the South pre-1965.

On 8/31/2023 at 10:04 AM, KUGRDON said:

I was only thinking of presidential elections. I would be shocked, shocked, I say, if there were not fraudulent elections in other contests, particularly city elections.  Plus Org is correct, Democrats stole many elections in the South pre-1965.

Aww, more Donesty.

You meant to say "Dixiecrats", or the conservative, racist democrats of the South, all of whom count their progeny today as Republicans.

It ain't Democrats suppressing black votes in the South today.    

On 8/27/2023 at 6:47 PM, MrBug708 said:

Mops is now famously running the Oregon 247 site. And a pretty good amateur golfer

I remember when Mops was talking about starting a Duck fan site and he asked me if I wanted to come over help him start it.  Likely a mistake on my part saying 'no thanks.'

Looks like OSU & WSU will have the PAC merge with the MWC or those two joins the MWC.  Question is will the NCAA allow OSU & WSU to take all the PAC's post season credits with them to the MWC?  If not, the MWC would come to the PAC and MWC commissioner takes over.

Wow. Cal and Stanford bent over the barrel to get into the ACC.  They will only get about 30% of ACC Rev the next 7 years. Which will be $7.2 million per.  That’s G5 money with a P4 name tag. 

North Carolina and FSU voted no to adding them.  This conference won’t last, most know that. 

Again, pretty fucked up if P12 schools turned down 30 mill from ESPN, expecting 50 per. I’m still not happy about Utah in the B12. NCAA credits might be more but the B12 was never our first want. 

https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/college-football/despite-30-million-offer-10-pac-12-teams-espn-stanford-cal-refused-accept-media-deal-money-reports