2023 P12 Football Thread

utenation

A day later and I still don’t like the play calling before the half or the 4th quarter decision to not punt.

I was fine with going for it late in last year’s game — our defense was atrocious, and our punter was not good. Realistic best case scenario we push Washington 30 yards downfield, which Penix would make up in 2 plays. Yesterday, a punt likely pins Washington around the 10. With about two minutes to play, and no timeouts, and good christ we were hitting Penix hard and I dunno if he holds up with the hits he’d take attempting to go 90 yards.

Right before the half, we were gashing UW on the ground. Got to the 3 yard line, Lanning with a timeout in his back pocket. That’s Irving or James time. You don’t get in, you take the TO and the points. I know Nix missed a guy in the EZ, the play call wasn’t horrible, but you not only risk coming up empty you give UW the momentum.

Gotta execute, blah blah, I thought Lanning looked like a young coach who got too cute.

That said, UW you have a hell of a team, you bastards. Penix is the best player in the country. I hope these heavyweight fights continue in the B1G. I also hope we win one.

• Like 1

USC -5.5

Oregon -19.5

UCLA -16.5

Washington -28.5

Even though USC is struggling, I have zero, repeat zero confidence Bryson Barnes can get a high quality road win in this league. He will be a turnover machine in this game. 

So unless our defense goes absolutely crazy and dominates this game, I’ll take USC by 7-10. 

On 10/18/2023 at 8:27 AM, glduck said:

The back half of the Bellotti era was a wild roller coaster. Absolutely no way to know what you were going to get week to week.

It was fun to see Oregon plant their flag nationally back then. Some critics always try to shame the ducks for Nike money but there’s plenty of schools that get big time money and don’t do shit. 

On 10/18/2023 at 11:06 AM, row Z said:

Just heard John Wilner say that he does not think the buffs make a bowl game this year. They need two more wins out of: @ UCLA, Beavs, AZ, @ WSU, @ Utah. 

I would think they would be underdogs in every game.

On 10/18/2023 at 11:06 AM, row Z said:

Just heard John Wilner say that he does not think the buffs make a bowl game this year. They need two more wins out of: @ UCLA, Beavs, AZ, @ WSU, @ Utah. 

I bet @Buff_Fan they would lose all 5 of those.  I expected CU to beat Stanford.   But I would definitely say a bowl game is iffy right now. 

Of those 5 games, WSU might be a win but it’s on the road. Recently CU barely beat ASU and lost to Stanford. The two worst teams in the conference. So I like my chances with our bet. 

CU has no defense, no rush game and maybe the worst O line in the country with the most sacks allowed in FBS. I think the coach “Prime” magic show has been over for 2-3 weeks. 

On 10/18/2023 at 12:35 PM, utenation said:

I bet @Buff_Fan they would lose all 5 of those.  I expected CU to beat Stanford.   But I would definitely say a bowl game is iffy right now. 

Of those 5 games, WSU might be a win but it’s on the road. Recently CU barely beat ASU and lost to Stanford. The two worst teams in the conference. So I like my chances with our bet. 

CU has no defense, no rush game and maybe the worst O line in the country with the most sacks allowed in FBS. I think the coach “Prime” magic show has been over for 2-3 weeks. 

A bowl game is really iffy at this point.  They have to win some games they aren’t supposed to, a tall order!

regarding our bet, I like your chances more than I did!  I still think they will win at least one, but last Friday certainly shakes the confidence.

On 10/18/2023 at 2:21 PM, EastCoastFan said:

There goes the argument that Sanders isn't helping the rest of the conference.  What was UCLA's attendance for their previous games?

Meh. As I mentioned before, the top programs in this conference don’t need Sanders to open up donor wallets or fill stadiums. These programs have already figured out how to maximize revenue. 

The way you made it sound last time is Sanders is King Midas and everything he touches turns to gold for the rest of the conference, which simply isn’t true. 

BTW, I posted average attendance numbers through last week a few days ago. UCLA definitely needs help to fill seats. 

On 10/18/2023 at 1:21 PM, EastCoastFan said:

There goes the argument that Sanders isn't helping the rest of the conference.  What was UCLA's attendance for their previous games?

35,000. Los Angeles does have a lot of casual fans who definitely eat up Deion and his "old school" way.

On 10/18/2023 at 4:56 PM, utenation said:

Meh. As I mentioned before, the top programs in this conference don’t need Sanders to open up donor wallets or fill stadiums. These programs have already figured out how to maximize revenue. 

BTW, I posted average attendance numbers through last week a few days ago. UCLA definitely needs help to fill seats. 

UCLA's way to maximize revenue has been easy to understand.  Move to the Big-10.  Regarding UCLA's attendance, for whatever reason, they now have a profitable sellout on their hands (and maybe some new-found local interest in the process.)  I'd guess the sellout has more to do with Sanders than with either Colorado or UCLA.