USC and Arizona basketball coaches arrested

MrBug708

Shits moving fast:

Statement from Alabama AD Greg Byrne:

"Following  yesterday’s reports from New York regarding a Federal investigation of  intercollegiate athletics, The University of Alabama Department of Athletics immediately  initiated an internal review of our men’s basketball operations. As a  result, we have accepted the resignation effective today of Kobie Baker, a men’s basketball administrator.  

Our review has not identified any NCAA or SEC rules violations nor the  involvement of any other coach or staff member. We have notified both of the governing bodies of the actions taken. As always, we will continue to be proactive in compliance efforts.”

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prior to joining Avery Johnson's staff when he took the Alabama job, Baker was the assistant director of enforcement for basketball development at the NCAA. He was also the associate director of amateurism certification at the NCAA.

Greg Byrne was also AD at Arizona until recently as well, so he's probably a little nervous

3 hours ago, dtd said:

lol Pitino is apparently "Coach-2". The FBI doesn't screw around man and he is still denying it. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20848092/louisville-cardinals-basketball-coach-rick-pitino-coach-2-federal-complaint-source

"A public research institution in Kentucky..."  Good thing they redacted the school!

Don't think there has ever been a worse week in Arizona history.  Get busted by the feds, Alkins going down for 2-3 months with a broken foot and now on the football side we have a freshman arrested on a domestic violence charge.

Now if excuse me I have some documents that need to be accidentally dumped into a fire before the FBI gets here....

7 hours ago, MrBug708 said:

The Tyler Dorsey recruitment would scare the hell of me if I'm an Oregon fan.

Too bad we can't go back to the Malik Hairston recruitment

/bitter party of one which cost UCLA a title

I've been told this will involve around 100 programs.  If I'm a power 5 schools fan, I'm just waiting to see what our team did.  I'm of the opinion the NCAA should be just as worried as any school and maybe more.  This could be the type of thing that ruins the NCAA.

There's no possible way Cal is involved in any of this.  Let's just ignore the fact that Wyking Jones spent several years under Pitino in Louisville before joining Martin at Cal 3 years ago.  I also wouldn't be surprised if Yanni Hufnagel -- the guy who got booted for sexually harassing a Rivals reporter -- was involved in something like this.  He was very very close to the AAU scene and he is a known scumbag so he fits the profile well. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/arizona-coach-sean-miller-breaks-his-silence-issues-statement-amid-fbi-probe/

Arizona coach Sean Miller waited a week to make his first public statement in the wake of an FBI investigation that includes the arrest of Arizona assistant Emanuel "Book" Richardson. On Tuesday evening, Miller ended his silence in the form of a written statement that was sent out from the head of the athletic department's communications office. 

It reads: "I was devastated to learn last week of the allegations made against Emanuel Richardson. I have expressed to both Dr. Robbins and our Athletic Director Dave Heeke that I fully support the University's efforts to fully investigate these allegations. As the head basketball coach at the University of Arizona, I recognize my responsibility is not only to establish a culture of success on the basketball court and in the classroom, but as important, to promote and reinforce a culture of compliance. To the best of my ability, I have worked to demonstrate this over the past 8 years and will continue to do so as we move forward."

Pathetically weak.  Miller is and always has been a scumbag and this has been known to anyone that is plugged into the college basketball scene.  He is the master of the delayed response as his strategy appears to be, "I hope this all blows over with time."   He had the same response to the rape committed by Elliot Pitts.  

• 1 month later...

Arizona assistant Mark Phelps suspended for 5 days and player Keanu Pinder for 1 game for unspecified NCAA violations said to be unrelated to the FBI story, I am assuming they realize they're under a microscope now and something happened. Maybe someone bought the kid lunch or something.

What that means is of the 3 assistants that were on staff at the end of last season, Book is indicted, Phelps is suspended and Pasternack was caught on tape saying he was interested in the plan to steer players to the agent, but didn't want to finalize it until after the season ended. Not exactly going to be easy for Miller to tell the NCAA they have an atmosphere of compliance in that scenario.

On 9/28/2017 at 10:05 PM, MrBug708 said:

The Tyler Dorsey recruitment would scare the hell of me if I'm an Oregon fan.

Too bad we can't go back to the Malik Hairston recruitment

/bitter party of one which cost UCLA a title

Tell me how that would "scare the hell" out of you.  I'd be more concerned with the Ball kids if I were you.  Lavar wasn't a millionaire two years ago.

On 10/5/2017 at 2:28 PM, All Hail said:

Pathetically weak.  Miller is and always has been a scumbag and this has been known to anyone that is plugged into the college basketball scene.  He is the master of the delayed response as his strategy appears to be, "I hope this all blows over with time."   He had the same response to the rape committed by Elliot Pitts.  

According to the Cal fan.

Sean Miller - scumbag.  Cal gets shit on by Zona basketball in recent years.

Dana Altman - scumbag.   Altman hasn't had a one-and-done player since this year with Troy Brown.

Cal under Martin - honest.  Cal hadn't had a one-and-done player in my memory, yet gets two in Jaylon Brown, and then Raab, who ended up being just another player but who was supposed to be a Calipari Special.

All Hail seems to selectively be outraged.  

Archived