Coaching Changes

Scscsc89

5 minutes ago, Quack 12 said:

I think Taggart would be a fool to take that job right now. FSU is a mess. Their facilities are weak, their recruiting class is a shambles (and yeah, I get that CWT could probably repair a lot of that in short order). Meanwhile, he has the makings of an awesome class coming in to Oregon, a QB who may arguably be the best in the Pac-12 next season, a fantastic staff (if he can keep it together), and a real shot at 10 or more wins next season and possibly the playoff. 

Either way, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. If I were Rob Mullens, I'd have already talked to Leavitt about stepping into the HC job if Willie bolts. 

FSU is a mess because their facilites are weak?  Your disqualified your only other rationale for the comment so there's no need for me to duplicate your work there. 

Here are the facts: 

FSU is still a better overall job (although to Oregon's credit, they have done a wonderful job of elevating the prestige level of the Oregon head football coach.)

FSU will pay more. 

FSU is close to home.  This might be the most compelling angle. 

I'm not saying it happens for sure but he would hardly be a fool for taking one of the most sought after college football jobs while returning home.  You can pretty much snore your way into a top 10 class at FSU and with that you can compete for national titles annually.  

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Quack 12 said:

I think Taggart would be a fool to take that job right now. FSU is a mess. Their facilities are weak, their recruiting class is a shambles (and yeah, I get that CWT could probably repair a lot of that in short order). Meanwhile, he has the makings of an awesome class coming in to Oregon, a QB who may arguably be the best in the Pac-12 next season, a fantastic staff (if he can keep it together), and a real shot at 10 or more wins next season and possibly the playoff. 

Either way, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. If I were Rob Mullens, I'd have already talked to Leavitt about stepping into the HC job if Willie bolts. 

Only facility FSU doesn't have is an indoor practice facility and FSU is about to embark on a massive facility upgrade program if it hasn't done so yet.  Those shortcomings are okay if you have talent in your backyard.

Even Texas still hasn't replaced their practice bubble but rest assured that they would be able to replace it quickly.  Right now they are probably focusing on raising $ for a new arena.

FSU could put up a practice bubble for just $5M for the time being.  CU's practice bubble cost $3M and that was built not long before CU build the new indoor practice facility.

38 minutes ago, row Z said:

But you don't have to be an attorney to be an agent, right? I don't believe Jimmy Sexton is an attorney. 

I don't know. I suppose attorneys are suited to that type of work (involves contracts, representation of clients in negotiations, etc.), but maybe they don't have to be.

26 minutes ago, Quack 12 said:

I don't know that'd he be a fool, but it does seem to me like Oregon is a better job right now.  It has a national profile, amazing facilities, and I don't think he'd be paid all that much more.  

Who the fuck wants to live in Trailerhassee?

1 hour ago, All Hail said:

FSU is a mess because their facilites are weak?  Your disqualified your only other rationale for the comment so there's no need for me to duplicate your work there. 

Here are the facts: 

FSU is still a better overall job (although to Oregon's credit, they have done a wonderful job of elevating the prestige level of the Oregon head football coach.)

FSU will pay more. 

FSU is close to home.  This might be the most compelling angle. 

I'm not saying it happens for sure but he would hardly be a fool for taking one of the most sought after college football jobs while returning home.  You can pretty much snore your way into a top 10 class at FSU and with that you can compete for national titles annually.  

They aren't competing for a national title this year, are they?

I don't disagree with you, but you also disqualified your own rationale. Taggart's greatest strength is his recruiting ability, and as you rightly pointed out, a Golden Retriever could bring a top ten class to that school. Besides, the bulk of my rationale had to do with what he's got going at Oregon right now.

I have little doubt that after a highly successful season or two at Oregon, Willie will move on to a bigger, better job. But right now, for his career trajectory, I think FSU is a risky proposition, if only because of the extreme pressure to win. As far as pay goes, FSU is a Nike school, and Oregon is THE Nike school. I''m reasonably sure that Uncle Phil can outbid the Seminoles if he cares to. 

FSU doesn't have a dedicated football building or an indoor practice facility. And yeah, they're embarking on a major construction project, but it will be 3-4 years or more before it's completed. My understanding is a that a big part of Jimbo's dissatisfaction is the administration's foot-dragging on the improvements they promised him.

1 hour ago, Quack 12 said:

They aren't competing for a national title this year, are they?

I don't disagree with you, but you also disqualified your own rationale. Taggart's greatest strength is his recruiting ability, and as you rightly pointed out, a Golden Retriever could bring a top ten class to that school. Besides, the bulk of my rationale had to do with what he's got going at Oregon right now.

I have little doubt that after a highly successful season or two at Oregon, Willie will move on to a bigger, better job. But right now, for his career trajectory, I think FSU is a risky proposition, if only because of the extreme pressure to win. As far as pay goes, FSU is a Nike school, and Oregon is THE Nike school. I''m reasonably sure that Uncle Phil can outbid the Seminoles if he cares to. 

FSU doesn't have a dedicated football building or an indoor practice facility. And yeah, they're embarking on a major construction project, but it will be 3-4 years or more before it's completed. My understanding is a that a big part of Jimbo's dissatisfaction is the administration's foot-dragging on the improvements they promised him.

They aren't competing for a national title because their QB got hurt.  I think Oregon of all teams this year can appreciate what an injury at QB can do to your season regardless of the surrounding talent.  Before the injury, they were expected to compete for a national title.  In fact, they were ranked #3 in the nation to open the season.  Every year, they have the talent to win a national title.  Very few schools boast such talent. 

There is risk at every high-profile job.  Is Oregon not a high-profile job? Oregon just fired a guy who led them to a national title game for crying out loud so this point seems silly at best. FSU has been extremely patient with Jimbo through his good and bad times. 

As far as pay goes, Oregon has yet to demonstrate that will pay as much as FSU.  Theoretically, Phil Knight can outbid just about anyone but he's had opportunity to throw 10 million at a top 5 coaching name and hasn't done so yet.  Can he, sure, has he, no. Oregon has consistently opted for the more cost effective rising star approach to coaching hires and they've been very successful with that approach. 

Willie Taggart will get those facilities promised to Jimbo so problem solved.  My understanding is that Jimbo was using the facilities as an excuse for not performing better but mostly as an excuse to leave.  As we've both agreed upon, he doesn't need the facilities to recruit and it's not like their facilities prevent them from adequate strength training and physical improvement. 

Bottom line.  I still don't see how he would be a fool to take a better job, get more money, and return home.  The only argument I see against it is the inferior facilities, which will improve soon enough. I doubt they will ever be up to Oregon's caliber though. 

If the Cougs can land Baldwin it might actually be an upgrade. I feel like the Air Raid has been figured out. Leach was super entertaining and deserves credit for getting the Cougs back to winning, but he hit his ceiling. He is going to flop at UT, IMHO.

Just now, row Z said:

If the Cougs can land Baldwin it might actually be an upgrade. I feel like the Air Raid has been figured out. Leach was super entertaining and deserves credit for getting the Cougs back to winning, but he hit his ceiling. He is going to flop at UT, IMHO.

Haha haha. Baldwin isn't even close to an upgrade, he avg 4 L a year at 1aa.  Guy is so overrated it's not even funny.

21 minutes ago, RogueDuck said:

Haha haha. Baldwin isn't even close to an upgrade, he avg 4 L a year at 1aa.  Guy is so overrated it's not even funny.

I appreciate the irony being given by a person who spots for a team coached by Willy Taggert. More to the story than W/L? 

Archived